New VoiceThread assignments are a major overhaul and redesign of the entire experience. We’ve added loads of new features, tightened the integration with your learning management system, and streamlined workflows to better guide everyone through the process. Check out what’s new below, and contact us if you would like to use this option in your courses.
Assignment Setup - For Instructors
- Content Organization: The assignment controls all VoiceThread content associated with it. Once you use a VoiceThread for an assignment, it will no longer be visible on your VT Home Page. The assignment is the only place instructors and students can see it.
- Workflow: Streamlined creation process for building a VoiceThread within the assignment setup process.
- Settings: Instructors can dictate the playback settings for all VoiceThreads when students are completing a “Create a VoiceThread” assignment type. Students cannot override these settings.
- Access: Instructors automatically have edit access to all student-created VoiceThreads for a “Create a VoiceThread” assignment type.
- Sharing: Instructors determine whether or not other students can see one another’s submissions. It’s no longer up to the student to remember to share when submitting.
- Peer Review: Student Gallery allows students to see all student VoiceThread submissions for a single assignment in a single collection, separated from the other assignments. No more need to use a second “Course View” link to have students view and comment on their peers’ submissions!
- Messaging: Customize your success messaging for students.
- Timed Release: Set start dates and due dates. Students will not be able to see your assignment outside of that time range. This allows you to create assignments well before you want students to see them.
- Assessment Style: Grade by percentage or pass/fail. (Point grading coming soon!)
- Student Review Decide whether or not students are allowed to see their own submission after they’ve submitted successfully.
- New Criteria: Require students to record a set number of comments on the “Create a VoiceThread” and “Commenting” assignment types.
- More New Criteria: “Watch” assignments tabulate watching of central media and comments, rather than just comments.
- Control: After students submit, they will not be permitted to make any alterations to their submission unless you’ve allowed them to resubmit.
- See a dynamic checklist of requirements for completing an assignment. Each time you complete a requirement, it will be checked off automatically.
- See a published due date, grading style, and submission status.
- Clearer messaging about whether an assignment is already submitted successfully.
- Visit the “Student Gallery” (if it has been enabled by the instructor) to view VoiceThreads submitted by classmates for this assignment.
Grading - For Instructors
- View a full summary of the assignment, including description, type, requirements, and grading style.
- There are now 3 status categories of students:
- Unattempted: student has not yet clicked “Start Assignment” at all.
- In Progress: student has started working on the assignment, but has not formally submitted yet
- Submitted: student has formally submitted
- Instructors can grade students who are “In progress” even if they haven’t submitted yet.
- Graded students are moved to a separate tab in the interface to keep the “to-grade” list cleaner.
- After a student’s assignment has been graded, instructors can go back and “un-submit” their assignment so they can try again.
Features that won’t be supported anymore
- Sharing a VoiceThread from an assignment outside of the assignment. You would need to make a copy and then share that copy instead.
- Group assignments will be a bit more complex while we work on simplifying and streaming that logic.